After a DUI or drug conviction, judges and advocates are left with four basic sentencing options to consider or recommend, either individually or in combination:
- Loss or Suspension of Licenses
- Jail time
- Court-ordered therapy
It has long been recognized that Intensive Outpatient treatment (IOP) has several advantages:
- Lower recidivism rates (see NIH references)
- No loss of employment, as may happen with a jail sentence
The SmartIOP approach to IOP treatment is simple:
- Build a support system with accountability
- Developing family and friend supports helps those who abuse substances to abstain and to maintain sobriety.
- Address the root problems
- Identifying the reasons (psychological, social, environmental or biological) one abuses substances is an integral part of effective treatment. People who are substance dependent are far more likely than the general population to have co-occurring mental health conditions. It is important to treat each client holistically by identifying: any co-occurring mental health conditions, other psychosocial stressors, rigid thought patterns, anxiety, past trauma, anger, depression, unhealthy coping mechanisms, cognitive dissonance, and/or cognitive distortion.
- To do this, the SmartIOP has TWICE the individual therapy time of any IOP in the state of Virginia